FA CUP: Diego Costa Did Not Bite Me – Gareth Barry

Everton midfielder Gareth Barry has exonerated Chelsea striker, Diego Costa from further attack by saying he was not bitten by the Spaniard when they clashed during Saturday’s FA Cup quarter-final.

Costa was shown a second yellow card for his part in the incident, in the 84th minute of Chelsea’s 2-0 defeat at Goodison Park, but denied biting Barry.

The Toffees player, who was later sent off, has backed Costa’s claim.

The Football Association is awaiting referee Michael Oliver’s report before deciding if more action is necessary.

Costa responded to a tackle from Barry by confronting the England international, moving his head towards him and in the direction of his neck.

Blues manager Guus Hiddink said the 27-year-old striker had been “chased a bit in the game” and was provoked by Everton players.

Barry was sent off three minutes after Costa when he was shown a second yellow card for a foul on Cesc Fabregas.

Everton manager Roberto Martinez said the 35-year-old had not complained after the match about his clash with Costa.

Former referee Howard Webb told BBC Radio 5 live: “I’ll be amazed if Costa is not punished for his reaction after the second yellow card.

“He fails to leave the field of play, he is aggressive again to Michael Oliver and referees are always told to report that situation. That can lead to another match ban.”

But on the suggestion Costa had bitten Barry, he added: “From what I’ve seen of the footage, it is not sufficient to support a charge for violent conduct retrospectively.”

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s