Rafael Nadal Wants All His Drug Tests Published To Prove Innocence

World number five Rafael Nadal who has been accused severally of doping has invited the International Tennis Federation to publish the results of all of his drugs tests.

The Spaniard is suing former French government minister Roselyne Bachelot, who accused him of doping.

In a letter to the ITF, he said people should not “speak without evidence”.

The 29-year-old added: “Please make all my information public, my biological passport and my complete history of anti-doping tests.”

On receipt of the letter, the ITF said the 14-time Grand Slam champion has never failed a drugs test and is free to make public his anti-doping records, to which he has full access.

Nadal also asked the ITF to communicate all future occasions on which he is tested and the results, as soon as they are ready.

Earlier this year, women’s world number nine Maria Sharapova admitted to testing positive for meldonium at this year’s Australian Open. The Russian is serving a provisional suspension and faces a lengthy ban.

British number one Andy Murray told the Mail on Sunday this month he had been suspicious of some opponents who “don’t seem to be getting tired”.

The issue of full disclosure of athletes’ anti-doping results has proved controversial in other sports.

British Athletics warned past and present athletes against allowing their blood data to be revealed, warning results could be “misinterpreted”.

However, several athletes – including distance runners Mo Farah and Jo Pavey – have said results should be made public.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s