I Won’t Challenge My Drug Test Results – Mamadou Sakho

Liverpool defender, Mamadou Sakho has decided not to challenge the results of his failed drugs test and is not expected to play for the Reds again this season.

Sakho, 26, tested positive for what is thought to be a type of fat burner after the Europa League win against Manchester United on 17 March.

He had until Tuesday to request a test of his B sample, but opted not to.

The France defender and his club agreed he would remain unavailable while a Uefa investigation was completed.

Uefa has so far not opened any disciplinary proceedings against Sakho.

Liverpool cannot comment because the process is confidential.

On Saturday, when the story broke, the club said in a statement that Sakho had not been officially suspended but would “not be available” for selection until the outcome of the investigation.

Manager Jurgen Klopp said Liverpool had done what they thought was right.

He said: “At this moment, there is really nothing else to say. What they are all doing is collecting information to clear the situation and we have to wait.”

Sakho’s Liverpool team-mate Kolo Toure was banned for six months in 2011 while at Manchester City after testing positive for a weight-loss drug contained within “water tablets” recommended to him by his wife.

A similar ban for Sakho would rule him out of Euro 2016 in France, which starts on 10 June.

Sakho, an £18m signing from Paris St-Germain in 2013, has played 34 games for Liverpool this season, including 10 in the Europa League.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s