Belgium moved into the quarter-finals of Euro 2016 as captain Eden Hazard inspired them to an impressive 4-0 victory over Hungary in Toulouse.
Belgium go into the European Championship quarterfinals for the first time since losing the 1980 final. They were dominant throughout at Stadium de Toulouse after Toby Alderweireld headed them into a 10th minute lead.
The Red Devils wasted a series of great chances to finish the game before Michy Batshuayi, with his first touch as a substitute, Hazard and Yannick Carrasco scored in the last 12 minutes.
Belgium now battle Wales in Lille, near the French-Belgian border, for a place in the semifinals.
Key Opta Stats:
– Belgium became the first team to score four goals in a match at Euro 2016.
– Kevin De Bruyne has scored or assisted 12 goals in his last 12 games for Belgium (5 goals, 7 assists).
– Gabor Kiraly made 10 saves versus Belgium; more than any other goalkeeper in a match so far at Euro 2016.
– There were just 94 seconds between Belgium’s second and third goals of the game.
– This was Belgium’s biggest ever win at a major tournament.
– Michy Batshuayi scored with his first touch for Belgium, after coming on as a second half substitute